Septage Management Guidelines
The Govt. of Tamil Nadu (GoTN) has prioritised the full sanitation chain, including the strengthening of septage management as an economical and sustainable complement to network-based systems. Towards this end, the Government of Tamil Nadu issued the Septage Management Operative Guidelines in September 2014, thereby becoming the first state in the country to do so.
These Operative Guidelines broadly outline seven areas of action.
· Design & Construction of Septic Tanks
· Septic Tank Pumping & De-Sludging
· Septage Transportation
· Treatment & Septage Disposal
· Fees/Charges for Collection, Transportation & Treatment
· Information Education & Communication
· Record Keeping & Reporting (MIS)
Behaviour Change and Communication – A Strategy